Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: Sunday 29th January 2023
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
You’ll be joining a small but dynamic team within the wider Health, Safety and Security department and will be instrumental in the design and implementation of a regulator approved Fatigue Risk Management System (FRMS).
The Specialist – FRMS Assurance will lead on all aspects of the FRMS performance and reporting structures and support the Manager in developing the FRMS within Virgin Atlantic. This will include communicating and influencing senior collaborators to design, implement and track key FRMS Safety Performance Indicators (SPIs) to ensure that risks relating to fatigue in the operation are communicated and managed appropriately. The role will also be instrumental in the ongoing continuous development of these SPIs and finding opportunities to continuously develop and evolve these.
Day to day
FRMS Systems Management and Continuous Improvement
- Overall ownership of bio-mathematical fatigue model and roster performance relative to key fatigue indicators (including relevant comparisons between both planned and flown rosters)
- Development of model to ensure all predictive indicators are known and effectively communicated to the FRMS Governance structure
- Identification of controls and mechanisms to ensure agreed indicators and SPIs are maintained/exceeded
- Management of relationship with external providers of applicable models and data sources
- Lead on developing and maintaining an internal FRMS audit programme – including collaborating with the QA team
- Preparation for external audits as required
- Management of appropriate, internal Self Audit Programme (SAP)
FRMS / Safety Promotion
- Development of FRMS communication channels (including the intranet, workplace, newsletters etc)
- Ensuring FRM performance is regularly shared throughout the business to aid awareness and decision making
- Representing the FRM Team in external forums where required and providing a visible presence to pilots, cabin crew and all other staff engaged within the FRMS
- Communicating with and influencing key partners (often in senior positions) to ensure performance remains within agreed parameters
FRM Data & Analysis
- Develop and maintain all FRM Safety Performance Indicators (SPIs) with engagement with key internal customers. This will include the continued development of automated reporting via Power BI
- Produce and communicate key messaging to support the FRMS Governance structure including monthly working group and union interface meetings
- Identify areas to continuously improve reporting capability and work collaboratively with key partners to drive performance
We’re looking for someone with a background in the airline industry (ideally either within fatigue risk management, safety or crew resourcing) and who is looking to further develop their experience as a FRMS specialist If this sounds like you and you have the below skills/experience, we think you would love this role!
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical capability – knowledge of Power BI (or similar) and strong Excel and Powerpoint skills are essential as is the ability to quickly understand different systems and processes (training to be provided as well)
- Confidentiality and attention to detail essential
- Integrity and independence with an ability to balance safety and risk against business and operational demands
- Confident and positive approach
- Strong influencing and diplomatic skills
- Excellent IT skills essential
- Strong Team Mate
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and using initiative
- A desire to make a difference to safety
- A background in Fatigue Risk Management or familiarity with bio-mathematical fatigue modelling would be of particular interest
- Experience of audit / self-audit programs would be beneficial but not essential
- A background in airline safety, risk management or crew resourcing is desirable but not essential
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do our colleagues. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. At Virgin Atlantic we believe everyone can take on the world - no matter your age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities, religion, or beliefs. We celebrate difference, and everything that makes our colleagues unique, by upholding an inclusive environment in which we can all thrive. So that everyone at Virgin Atlantic can be themselves and know they belong.
To make your journey with us accessible, and individual to you, we encourage you to let us know if you’d like a little extra help with your application, or if you have any individual requirements at any stage along your recruitment journey. We are here to support you, so please reach out to our team, (Recruitment@fly.virgin.com) feeling confident that we’ve got your individual considerations covered.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values