Salary: Competitive plus excellent benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Mon - Fri 09:00 - 17:30
Location: The Base, Crawley, West Sussex
Closing date: 20th February 2020
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including part-time, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what’s possible for the role.
In a nutshell
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to work for an award-winning full-service airline, to be part of a family that shares ambition, growth and creativity? Virgin Atlantic is part of the world’s largest transatlantic Joint Venture. We are part of a growing global network with one of the newest, greenest fleets in the sky. Every year we take more than 5 million customers on an exciting journey to 30+ destination worldwide. Our ambition is to become UK’s flag carrier while remaining one of the most loved travel companies.
To deliver on our promise of most loved travel company, we need to optimise and advance our operations. This advancement will be driven by our brand new Operations Decision Support (ODS) team. ODS aims to make Virgin Atlantic one of the most data-driven and intelligent airline in the world. To do this, ODS will deliver on a suite of tools that support the operations in their decision making. They will propose ways to manage last minute disruptions, assist in creating a flight schedule that proactively minimizes passenger delays, and much more.
At ODS, you will get a chance to utilize your skillsets in a unique environment that’s:
• Cutting Edge | Be one of the first to build complex, innovative tools using cutting edge operations research
• Multifaceted | Partner closely with crew, ops & network to change business processes; more than coding
• Entrepreneurial | Be part of building a new team building new decision support tools, defining the rules of the game
• Data intensive | Get access to a large pool of airline data across all ops departments
• Impactful | Improve the lives of millions of customers, holistically enhancing their flying experience
You will work shoulder to shoulder with other software engineers, data scientists, operations experts and front-line staff to shape the future of the aviation industry. Virgin Atlantic has existed for over 30 years but this year you have an opportunity to be part of something new!
Day to day
You'll be part of the new ODS department, which works in multi-functional teams to deliver software solutions that:
• Keeps our Operation “in the air” 24/7
• Makes sure our operations have the latest digital tools to build memorable experiences for our passengers
You will use your experience in software and data engineering to:
• Create robust production grade software & systems
• Translate data science models into support systems
• Contribute to the definition of optimal data architecture
• Co-create with operations experts at VAA and other airlines to develop the end product
• Coach your (Operations Research) team mates in the intricacies and standard methodologies of software engineering, CI/CD, API design, and more
• Design & implement ETL processes (in Azure Data Factory and Azure SQL database)
We are looking for passionate and talented software engineers; curious builders, biased towards action, who thrive in a fast-paced, international environment.
Education / Experience:
• Minimum of 2 years of experience building production-grade software
• Bachelor degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other relevant fields (less important in light of work experience)
Specific Software / Data Engineering Knowledge:
• Knowledge of continuous integration/continuous deployment techniques
• Experience with building APIs and knowledge of REST API best practices
• Proficient with automated testing
• Experience with ETL processes in Azure Data Factory and SQL Database
• Experience with 2 or more server-side programming languages, e.g. Python, Java, Scala, C++, C#, etc.
• Experience with bringing data science and / or operations research models to production and supporting data scientists in industrializing their code
• Experience in coaching and knowledge sharing to familiarize teams with software engineering best practices
• Great communication skills, written and spoken (English)
• Team spirit
• Familiarity with cloud solutions such as Azure Platform (e.g. Databricks, Azure functions, VMs)
• Experience with (non) relational databases and SQL/NoSQL
• Knowledge of and/or experience with the Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, Spark, Hive, etc.)
• Affinity with Machine Learning and/or Operations Research concepts The perks
We recognise the value you add to our dynamic company. That's why we give our people the rewards that they deserve. We have a whole host of benefits to help you enjoy life to the full, including up to seven flights a year to a wide range of fabulous Virgin Atlantic destinations. Of course you can also take advantage of discounts on our amazing Virgin Holidays hotels. We also offer a competitive benefits package including pension and private medical schemes and life assurance. You can even self select whats important to you through our benefits portal. We appreciate that life is busy, so when operationally possible remote working is available.
BE YOURSELF - OUR DIFFERENCES MAKE US STRONGER
Virgin Atlantic and Virgin holidays are committed equal opportunities employers and positively support applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy and maternity. Diversity brings strength which is why we strive to provide an inclusive environment where individuality is celebrated and we can unleash the potential of our forward-thinking mix of people.