Hours: Full Time 37.5 hours per week
Location: Hybrid remote working with 2 days in our VHQ Crawley, West Sussex - speak to us about what flexibility looks like for you.
Closing Date: 24th May 2022
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including part-time, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
Virgin Atlantic is still proudly flying, creating the same fabulous flight experience we’re famous for, and we’re busily laying the foundations for a profitable future. We know that the right people are key to creating success – so we’re looking for someone brilliant to join our team and help us achieve our vision. Perhaps that’s you? We’d love to find out.
We're looking for a Java developer to step into a ‘hands on’ role.
You will be responsible to deliver highly effective solutions for virginatlantic.com. A technical hands-on role with a focus on designing, presenting and building complex solutions - the successful candidate must have extensive relevant proven experience and be effective in both new and more established technologies across the development stack.
To achieve our mission in becoming the most loved travel company. You will play a key role as we embark on an exciting journey to transform virginatlantic.com and digitise our customer journey.
Day to day
Some of your key responsibilities a Software Engineer will be:
• As a hands-on role, you will be expected to contribute to the day-to-day development activities, by interpreting requirements from user stories through to implementing efficient code and supporting it once live - using the right technologies, patterns and approach for any given problem.
• Participate and provide technical guidance and support in daily stand-ups, sprint refinement and planning.
• Pro-actively seek out new challenges within the technical arena.
You may come from a Software Engineer, Software Developer or Java Developer role.
In addition to the above, we’re looking for our successful Software Engineer to demonstrate the following:
• Working in a matrix style organisation where direction can come from multiple senior stakeholders.
• Java / J2EE / SpringBoot.
• Problem solving skills with a focus on helping the team finding the “right” solution.
• You should have experience of working in an agile environment.
• Attention to detail, the ability to pre-empt issues before they manifest themselves.
• Ability to work at a fast pace and be composed under pressure, positively responding to change, and adapting to new ways of working.
• A Basic understanding of Microservices
If this sounds like you, and you would like to be on this exciting journey with us, we would love to hear from you!
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do our colleagues. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. At Virgin Atlantic, we believe everyone can take on the world - no matter your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities, or religious beliefs. We celebrate difference, and everything that makes our colleagues unique, by upholding an inclusive environment in which we can all thrive. So that everyone at Virgin Atlantic can be themselves and know they belong.
To make your journey with us accessible, and individual to you, we encourage you to let us know if you’d like a little extra help with your application, or if you have any individual requirements at any stage along your recruitment journey. We are here to support you, so please reach out to our team, (Recruitment@fly.virgin.com) feeling confident that we’ve got your individual considerations covered.