Salary: Competitive, plus excellent benefits
Contract: Permanent or 12 months fixed term contract
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Mon - Fri 09:00 - 17:30
Location: The Base, Crawley, West Sussex
Closing date: 20th February 2020
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including part-time, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what’s possible for the role.
In a nutshell
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to work for an award-winning full-service airline, to be part of a family that shares ambition, growth and creativity? Virgin Atlantic is part of the world’s largest transatlantic Joint Venture. We are part of a growing global network with one of the newest, greenest fleets in the sky. Every year we take more than 5 million customers on an exciting journey to 30+ destination worldwide. Our ambition is to become UK’s flag carrier while remaining one of the most loved travel companies.
To deliver on our promise of most loved travel company, we need to optimise and advance our operations. This advancement will be driven by our brand new Operations Decision Support (ODS) team. ODS aims to make Virgin Atlantic one of the most data-driven and intelligent airline in the world. To do this, ODS will deliver on a suite of tools that support the operations in their decision making. They will propose ways to manage last minute disruptions, assist in creating a flight schedule that proactively minimizes passenger delays, and much more.
At ODS, you will get a chance to utilize your skillsets in a unique environment that’s:
• Cutting Edge | Be one of the first to build complex, innovative tools using cutting edge operations research
• Multifaceted | Partner closely with crew, ops & network to change business processes; more than coding
• Entrepreneurial | Be part of building a new team building new decision support tools, defining the rules of the game
• Data intensive | Get access to a large pool of airline data across all ops departments
• Impactful | Improve the lives of millions of customers, holistically enhancing their flying experience
You will work shoulder to shoulder with other software engineers, data scientists, operations experts and front-line staff to shape the future of the aviation industry. Virgin Atlantic has existed for over 30 years but this year you have an opportunity to be part of something new!
Day to day
You'll be part of the new ODS department, which works in multi-functional teams to deliver software solutions that:
• Keep our Operation “in the air” 24/7
• Make sure our staff have the latest digital tools to build memorable experiences for our passengers
You will apply your data science, machine learning and operations research skills to:
• Work with large, complex data sets to solve difficult airlines problems
• Translate business problems into data science models
• Develop and work with state of the art algorithms
• Co-create with various management levels
• Contribute your ideas and creativity in a fast-paced environment
• Leads and coaches other data scientists
• Sets and leads the data science framework
We are looking for passionate and talented Data Scientists; curious builders, biased towards action, who thrive in a fast-paced, international environment.
Education / Experience:
• Master’s degree in a relevant field with heavy focus on data science (e.g., computer science, (applied) mathematics, statistics, & operations research)
• First-hand experience in applying Data Science, ideally in a corporate setting
Specific Data Science Knowledge:
• Deep understanding of machine learning models (e.g. gradient boosting and artificial neural networks)
• Strong background in operations research
• Ability to explore and distil insights from data sets
• Ability to develop clear powerful visualizations of complex data
• Ability to process complex data sets, evaluate and improve data quality
• Proficient knowledge of programming models in Python or other scripting languages
• Knowledge of data management of (non) relational databases is preferred, ideally knowledge of big data technology such as Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Hive and NoSQL
• Highly competent in solving complex problems, communicating with partners and working as a team
• Ability to translate complex technical results into clear business recommendations
• Great communication skills, written and spoken
• Team spirit
• Familiarity with cloud solutions such as Azure Platform (e.g. Databricks, Azure functions, VMs)
• Familiarity with Optimisation software (e.g. CPLEX, Gurobi) The perks
We recognise the value you add to our dynamic company. That's why we give our people the rewards that they deserve. We have a whole host of benefits to help you enjoy life to the full, including up to seven flights a year to a wide range of fabulous Virgin Atlantic destinations. Of course you can also take advantage of discounts on our amazing Virgin Holidays hotels. We also offer a competitive benefits package including pension and private medical schemes and life assurance. You can even self select whats important to you through our benefits portal. We appreciate that life is busy, so when operationally possible remote working is available.
BE YOURSELF - OUR DIFFERENCES MAKE US STRONGER
Virgin Atlantic and Virgin holidays are committed equal opportunities employers and positively support applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy and maternity. Diversity brings strength which is why we strive to provide an inclusive environment where individuality is celebrated and we can unleash the potential of our forward-thinking mix of people.