Salary: Competitive per annum
Hours: 37.5 per week Monday - Friday
Location: Crawley, West Sussex - with flexible remote working days
Closing Date: 25th July 2021
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
In this exciting role here at Virgin Atlantic (VAL) you will explore, define and prioritise key business problems and develop simulations/models that will drive optimal decision making. You will enable the solution of these business opportunities through statistical analyses and machine learning techniques.
Alongside the Manager/Senior Manager you will support the growth of the team defining OR standard approaches and frameworks, setting key quality assurance and delivery milestones.
Working closely with the Data Science, Data Engineering (DS&E) and Business Insights & Reporting teams (BI&R), you will productionise the analyses into toolsets and centralised reporting, where required. This may require construction of POC toolsets in familiar technologies to refine with the business, that can then be refactored by technical teams.
You will also act as the first point of contact for new analytics-led initiatives, proactively taking leadership roles across projects, whilst you will determine the key tasks and project design for OR analysts to support or deliver solo.
Day to day
- Identify sources, collect, collate and analyse operational data (internal and external), ensuring accuracy and validity of data.
- Analyse the datasets to identify root causes and corrective actions or best practice across The Key Directorates. Making suggestions for improvement and comparing VAA’s and VHols performance with those of the industry.
- Create and develop innovative solution/tools with user friendly interfaces that enhance insight/automate processes to deliver continuous improvement, in collaboration with DS&E and BI&R where appropriate.
- Drive analytical culture and best practices across the business, to improve self-serve insight and presentation & interpretation of analyses throughout.
- Influence our JV partners on analytical approaches, definitions & influences of external factors to help stakeholders understand the context and holistic impact of individual OR initiatives.
- Build Key relationship across 3-5 key functions involving a selection from: Crew Logistics, OCC, Resilience, Flight Operations, Airports, Engineering, Cabin, Commercial, Safety and Security, Technology. Represent OR in key working groups and steering meetings.
- Advise and influence on industry specific topics relating to commercial and operational decisioning, optimisation and forecasting
Do you have a strong statistical/analytical background with either a masters/post grad in STEM subject? Then this could be the role for you!
Alongside the above we're looking for the following to be successful in your application:
- Highly proficient in statistical, optimisation and advanced analytical methods, with expertise in industry relevant OR topics through previous experience or graduate qualification
- Practical experience in analytical toolsets e.g. Alteryx, SSPS, Excel, Python, R, Matlab
- Strong research background and ability to combine data driven models with industry literature and macro factors
- Ability to translate complex analyses and modelling into action-oriented presentations, visualisations and decision support tools for the business
It’s desirable for you to have the following:
- Understanding of Machine Learning techniques
- Experience with SQL and visualisation tools e.g. Tableau, PowerBI
If the above sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you!
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Virgin Atlantic are committed equal opportunities employers and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy and maternity. Diversity brings strength which is why we strive to provide an inclusive environment where individuality is celebrated, and we can ignite the potential of our forward-thinking mix of people.
Please be aware as part of our recruitment process we may look to use a variety of resourcing tools to help us understand your skills and experience in relation to the role you have applied for. These may include application questions, video interviews or online testing. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any reasonable adjustments to our process that you would like us to consider, for example use of hearing loops, sign language interpreter etc. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there are any issues preventing you from being at your best during your application or assessment process. Any issues raised after your assessment is completed or once a decision has been made will be too late for us to consider within our process.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values