Salary: Competitive plus excellent benefits
Hours: Full Time
Location: The VHQ, Crawley - West Sussex
Closing Date: 21st April 2021
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including part-time, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
The role of the Principal Flight Crew Manager is to provide strong management and leadership to the pilot workforce and Flight Crew Management team, establishing high expectations with regards to performance, behaviours, and attendance whilst also maintaining a relentless focus on employee engagement. The role will be part of the Flight Operations Leadership team and will partner with key stakeholders to ensure a consistent approach to people management.
The postholder will be expected to travel to LHR on a regular basis and subject to demand.
Day to day
* Provide strong leadership and management to the pilot workforce in addition to the Flight Crew Management team, establishing high expectations with regards to performance, behaviours, and attendance.
* Ensure all investigations, disciplinary, probation reviews, grievance, and appeal hearings are carried out within a timely manner and within company policy.
* Ensure that our pilot's absence is being managed effectively, both short term and long term, considering the effect on overall productivity.
* Ensure that pilot welfare and any mental health concerns are managed appropriately, ensuring follow-up with specialist teams as necessary.
* In conjunction with the Standards-, Operations- and Training teams, manage pilots' performance taking into account technical, training, and people concerns. Ensure that individuals receive mentoring, feedback, and support to develop and meet their career aspirations.
* Accountable for the oversight of the pilot recruitment process.
* Ensure people development that delivers a skilled, engaged, and motivated team. In partnership with the Standards-, Operations- and Training teams, provide oversight of the Command Assessment Programme.
* Accountable for the day-to-day relationship with BALPA and the Company Counsel, escalating when necessary, to the VP Flight Operations.
* Chair the monthly Union meetings and accountable for the resolution of issues raised through this forum and directly.
* In partnership with the People Team, lead on the pay negotiation with BALPA and ensure appropriate consultation / negotiation is carried out in line with the ER strategy, taking direction from the VP Flight Operations.
* Drive the development and implementation of core lifestyle improvement activities and strategic projects derived from pay negotiations.
* Work closely with Head of Cabin Operations and Cabin Crew Management to achieve a consistent approach to policy development and employee and industrial relations.
* As part of the Flight Operations Leadership team, identify business efficiencies and engagement initiatives that require project management and lead process to ensure completion and ownership, brokering in experts or key stakeholders when needed.
* Ensure Operational and working group meetings are represented by Flight Crew Management where appropriate.
* Attend Level 1, Level 2, and Amber response meetings when necessary and ensure any follow-up actions are carried out on a timely basis.
* Accountable for ensuring there is a relentless focus on employee engagement by building and maintain strong, trusting relationships with all pilots.
* In the absence of the VP Flight Operations, deliver key updates to a large pilot audience and answer a wide range of questions that affect both the business and the pilot workforce.
* Seek out face-to-face communication with the pilots in a variety of situations (Ops Days, Airport, down route, grab and go’s) to identify pilot issues, find solutions, and ensure follow-up.
* Attend and host recognition events
* Engage with other parts of the business to communicate and represent pilot issues.
To be successful in this role you will be an engaging leader and communicator who thrives in dynamic, fast-paced environments where continuous improvement is at the heart of your work every day. If you have a passion for change and can inspire ‘buy in’ from others, then this could be the role for you…
In addition to the above, we would love to speak with you if you are able to demonstrate the following:
* Proven Industrial Relations experience alongside having a solid understanding of People policies and employment law
*Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills with a demonstrable ability to build and maintain effective relationships, positioning yourself as a trusted partner to senior stakeholders
* Strong people leadership skills with an ability to inspire, coach, and develop others
* Demonstrable judgment & decision-making capability
* Able to lead a diverse operational team whilst balancing priorities, and identifying commercial & customer needs
* Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with an appetite for analysing data to derive insights, drive actions and solve problems
* Strong commercial acumen with a forward-thinking approach as well as the confidence to communicate within a unionised environment
* Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy is essential as you’ll be dealing information often of a sensitive, confidential nature
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Virgin Atlantic are committed equal opportunities employers and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy and maternity. Diversity brings strength which is why we strive to provide an inclusive environment where individuality is celebrated, and we can ignite the potential of our forward-thinking mix of people.
Please be aware as part of our recruitment process we may look to use a variety of resourcing tools to help us understand your skills and experience in relation to the role you have applied for. These may include application questions, video interviews or online testing. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com if there are any reasonable adjustments to our process that you would like us to consider, for example use of hearing loops, sign language interpreter etc. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there are any issues preventing you from being at your best during your application or assessment process. Any issues raised after your assessment is completed or once a decision has been made will be too late for us to consider within our process.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values