Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including part-time, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
Day to day
- Deliver and guide the transformation architecture to meet current and evolving VAL needs.
- Influence with Delta and other tech companies to support VAL; understanding that our agility, brand and culture are the assets to lead with.
- Adapt and promote an environment, through leadership of growth and learning – delivering performance within the Strategy & Architecture team.
- Understand the business purpose for any architecture, how that changes over time and deliver architectures suitable to the desired outcomes.
- Help Lead Delta, AFKL, Connect and Others to ensure we move toward an architecture that reduces cost and increases a modern federated architecture.
- Deliver architecture roadmaps drive seamless customer & employee journeys.
- Understand new capabilities in either existing partners or new entrants to the technology landscape.
- Ability to deliver the right architecture not just a generic “best practice” one or a technically superior product.
- To ensure optimised, repeatable, documented architectures are created and understood by all in VAL; from functions to engineering, cabin crew and of course technology – democratising technology for good
- Design and deliver purpose driven architectures, taking into account our current and future business needs; blending a mixture of cost vs capability.
- Bias toward existing technologies and solutions while ensuring we take opportunities to leap where possible. Use modern thinking and technical capabilities to deliver better outcomes not just the next iteration.
- Help set and deliver patterns, policies and standards that fully understand the tensions between Machine First, Digital, Data and our human service.
- Mentor and develop the people in our business and technology – provide a positive, supportive energy that empowers performance for individuals – provide strategic guidance and feasible technical plan to deliver it.
- The role will advise the Senior Enterprise Solution Architects, Head of Architecture and Architecture Review Board and so that we drive up quality of solution choice, deliver appropriate business and technology solutions at the right cost.
- Develop and implement Architecture that delivers VAL strategy; making architecture world class by 2023.
- Help deliver VALs strategy to turn data into actionable and measurable customer, commercial and operational insights; helping provide the architecture to support it.
- Help champion innovation such that VAL provides a unique and personalised service that customers value; whilst making the best use of our partnerships and technology. The Virgin way.
- The ability to understand and learn both new and updated technologies quickly.
- Deep understanding of patterns and practices required to deliver technology.
- Scanning and understanding the evolution of the technologies of the future, in relation to the near-term goals and mega trends of capability in and out of the airline & travel industry. Microsoft, Amazon and Google specifically – however hybrid cloud appreciation and experience is essential
- Challenge, drive and influence the Head of Strategy and Architecture to continue to think longer term, but ensuring relevance towards short to medium term goals
- Help drive a collaborative culture that is based in learning. Educating and opening the mindset of VAL to embrace technology and de mystify the complexities. Strong communication and planning skills are required
- Airline experience useful… but not essential. If experienced in airline an ability to think outside of sector is absolutely necessary. A strategic mindset to influence our technical capital spend.
- The ability to see what is important, ask the right questions and deliver on promises.
- Experience in and positive attitude toward modern architectural approaches.
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Please be aware as part of our recruitment process we may look to use a variety of resourcing tools to help us understand your skills and experience in relation to the role you have applied for. These may include application questions, video interviews or online testing. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any reasonable adjustments to our process that you would like us to consider, for example use of hearing loops, sign language interpreter etc. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there are any issues preventing you from being at your best during your application or assessment process. Any issues raised after your assessment is completed or once a decision has been made will be too late for us to consider within our process.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values