Hours: Full Time
Location: VHQ, Crawley
Closing Date: Sunday 30th January 2022
Many of our people at Virgin Atlantic work flexibly and in many ways, including different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about your preferred ways of working. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
As Manager – FRMS, you will shape, develop and continuously improve the Fatigue Risk Management System (FRMS) across Virgin Atlantic Airways (VAA) and fully integrate into the VAA Safety Management System (SMS) and wider VAA operation. The FRMS will utilise modern science to ensure the highest levels of safety for VAA’s operational programme requirements.
- Shape, develop and continuously improve the Fatigue Risk Management System (FRMS) across Virgin Atlantic Airways (VAA) and fully integrate into the VAA Safety Management System (SMS) and wider VAA operation. The FRMS will utilise modern science to ensure the highest levels of safety for VAA’s operational programme requirements.
Day to day
- Develop, evolve and critique all FRM processes and procedures to ensure best practice is adopted and communicated throughout the airline
- In conjunction with the VP – Health, Safety & Security, develop the overall FRMS strategy across the business including the rollout of key fatigue risk management principles in both flying and ground based areas of the business and working to promote the importance of effective fatigue risk management throughout the company
- Ensure VAA’s FRMS meets and exceeds, where required, EASA, CAA and HSE legislator requirements.
- Provide clear, independent, and academic Fatigue and Human Factors input into VAA’s Safety Investigation process; Acting as an independent chair to our Event Review Groups (ERGs).
- Chair the Fatigue Working Group (FWG) and Fatigue Governance Group (FRMG) meetings to ensure transparent discussion of fatigue related topics and drive action and performance through these forums
- Brief on FRMS performance at the associated Safety & Security Action Groups (SSAGs) and Safety & Security Review Board (SSRB)
- Development of appropriate training programmes to support the development of the FRMS and ensure understanding throughout the business
- Represent Virgin Atlantic at key external forums relating to fatigue and act as an ambassador to the company to promote the development of FRM across the wider industry
- Manage a team of two FRMS specialists and ensure the FRMS team is continuously improving and evolving over time
We’re seeking a Fatigue Risk Management System (FRMS) professional with management, with an aviation background, who is data driven, with excellent people skills and places safety as their top priority. If this sounds like you and you have the below qualities /experience, we think you would love this role!
- Extensive interpersonal and communication skills: specifically, with complex stakeholder management and an ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation.
- Experience managing and developing a high performing team
- Academic background in Aviation Safety, Human Factors (and/or) Fatigue Risk Management.
- Extensive Airline Operation or Aviation Regulator Experience in Human Factors (and/or) Fatigue Risk Management.
- Knowledge of bio-mathematical fatigue models and their application
- Experience within Airline Operations, Crew Resourcing or Airline Safety is desirable.
- Relevant experience of implementing and developing a regulator approved FRMS would be of particular interest
- A background in interacting with pilot and cabin crew unions is desirable
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: