Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including different core hours or remote working. This role is based 1 day a week in our VHQ in Crawley, please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
Virgin Atlantic is still proudly flying, creating the same fabulous flight experience we’re famous for, and we’re busily laying the foundations for a profitable future. We know that the right people are key to creating success – so we’re looking for someone brilliant to join our team and help us achieve our vision. Perhaps that’s you? We’d love to find out
We're looking for a highly skilled, senior, full-stack Java developer to step into a ‘hands on’ Technical Lead role.
You will be responsible to deliver highly effective solutions for virginatlantic.com. A technical hands-on role with a focus on designing, presenting and building complex solutions - the successful candidate must have extensive relevant proven experience and be effective in both new and more established technologies across the development stack. This is mainly a Java back-end role, but exposure and understanding of front-end frameworks and patterns would be highly desirable.
To achieve our mission in becoming the most loved travel company. It's key that we transform Virgin Atlantic’s digital estate to support end to end user journey’s across the whole travel ribbon.
Day to day
- Coach and mentor developers around you - working with your peers to extend and upskill technical knowledge in the team.
- Work with your peers to design innovative, highly performant, technical solutions to meet our business requirements – utilising the best technology to meet requirements.
- Document and present technical solutions to the wider Digital Team and seek buy-in.
- Lead by example, by taking the lead on major project work. Including creating prototypes for new Digital capability and helping the development team adopt the solution and mature it for production.
- Ensure PRs and code reviews are completed and ensure quality is driven into the code base.
- From time-to-time you may be asked to help interview new candidates and assess their technical competence.
- As a hands-on role, you will be expected to contribute to the day-to-day development activities, by interpreting requirements from user stories through to implementing efficient code and supporting it once live - using the right technologies, patterns and approach for any given problem.
- Participate and provide technical guidance and support in daily stand-ups, sprint refinement and planning.
- Pro-actively seek out new challenges within the technical arena.
At Virgin we use a wide range of technology across our brands. We therefore do not expect you to have experience in our entire stack, but a broad technical skill set and the passion and ability to learn new languages is essential.
Please see the desirable experience below:
- Shipping products using agile and lean methodologies such as Scrum and/or Continuous Delivery.
- Working in a matrix style organisation where direction can come from multiple senior stakeholders.
- Distributed microservices architecture.
- Leading cross-functional teams.
- Azure / AWS.
- Experience of Enterprise CMS systems (AEM 6.X/CQ5).
- Knowledge of object oriented programming and MVC paradigm.
- HTML/CSS markup.
- Problem solving skills with a focus on helping the team finding the “right” solution.
- Attention to detail, the ability to pre-empt issues before they manifest themselves.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and be composed under pressure, positively responding to change, and adapting to new ways of working.
- Experience of code reviewing to governance standards.
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Please be aware as part of our recruitment process we may look to use a variety of resourcing tools to help us understand your skills and experience in relation to the role you have applied for. These may include application questions, video interviews or online testing. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any reasonable adjustments to our process that you would like us to consider, for example use of hearing loops, sign language interpreter etc. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there are any issues preventing you from being at your best during your application or assessment process. Any issues raised after your assessment is completed or once a decision has been made will be too late for us to consider within our process.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values