Hours: 37.5hrs Monday- Friday 09:00-17:30
Location: The VHQ, Crawley (hybrid, expectation 2-3 days per week in the office)
Closing Date: Sunday 4th December 2022
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
We have an excellent opportunity to join our Aeronautical Services team as a Lead – Navigation Services, responsible for oversight and optimisation of global AIS and navigation data delivery across our flight planning, NOTAM and aircraft flight management systems, also providing regulatory assurance and compliance support to Flight Operations.
The role has a wide brief, and no day will be the same. Overseeing the day-to-day delivery of the Navigation Services work programme, you will engage with multiple internal stakeholder groups and external aviation authorities, governing bodies, and industry partners to ensure that Virgin Atlantic worldwide flight operations operate optimally and compliantly in the navigation and ATM sphere.
Providing appropriate subject matter expertise to the 24/7 OCC team and wider business, the role will assist in maintaining and developing all Flight Planning and navigation data delivery and software product evolution. You will be expected to monitor and review industry developments, changing legislation, and best practice to ensure the department’s delivery evolves to support ongoing Flight Operations compliance and innovations.
Day to day
- Continually review navigation data and airspace changes through monitoring of published information and engagement with air navigation service providers. Using this data, accurately maintain flight planning, NOTAM and FMS databases, navigation charts and related company procedures
- Conduct block time/fuel burn analysis as required to support various business areas
- Ensure the necessary flight approvals are acquired to support the delivery of the intended airline flying schedule
- Supporting the Flight Planning Lead with flight planning system projects and evolution
- Engaging with Air Navigation Service Providers on Virgin Atlantic’s requirements for airspace modernisation and development
- Prepare and maintain comprehensive applications to UK and foreign regulatory authorities for operations certificates by researching and analysing published rules and standards, and determining the appropriate information required so to satisfy the regulatory requirements
- Monitor and review upcoming legislation affecting Virgin Atlantic operations, including aircraft equipment mandates to ensure that the airline can continue to operate efficiently and compliantly in all relevant jurisdictions
- Provide briefing and training to other team members and departments on Flight Planning, Navigation and ATM subject matter
Ideally you will have worked in a similar role for a commercial airline, having a proven understanding of UK CAA, EASA, FAA and other international air regulations, alongside:
- Experience in management and processing of aeronautical Information, including flight planning system data maintenance, navigation chart specifications and FMS Navigation database delivery for a commercial airline
- Experience in aircraft operations, navigation, and Air Traffic Management subject matter from a commercial airline perspective
- Sound knowledge of requirements and practices published by international aviation organisations (e.g., ICAO SARPS)
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Ability to quickly master complex, technical legislation and regulations, delivering information to a wide audience
- Excellent influencing and communication skills
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do our colleagues. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. At Virgin Atlantic we believe everyone can take on the world - no matter your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities, religion, or beliefs. We celebrate difference, and everything that makes our colleagues unique, by upholding an inclusive environment in which we can all thrive. So that everyone at Virgin Atlantic can be themselves and know they belong.
To make your journey with us accessible, and individual to you, we encourage you to let us know if you’d like a little extra help with your application, or if you have any individual requirements at any stage along your recruitment journey. We are here to support you, so please reach out to our team, (Recruitment@fly.virgin.com) feeling confident that we’ve got your individual considerations covered.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values