Hours: Full Time
Location: VHQ, Crawley
Closing Date: Sunday 5th February 2023
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
The role of the Health Safety & Environment Officer (HSE Officer) is to identify, monitor and improve health, safety and environment issues to ensure the safety and wellbeing of employees, customers, suppliers, third party contractors and visitors to all locations including (but not limited to), offices, airports, hangar facilities, retail stores and hotels – both in the UK and overseas.
Day to day
Safety is of paramount importance to any airline or holiday company, so your role in Virgin Atlantic’s Safety team is very important in the safe and compliant operation of Virgin Atlantic’s day to day operations.
Every day you will cover a number of key areas, including auditing & risk assessment, investigation, providing advice and training, administration of various processes and policies and you will be required to travel globally to a variety of our destinations in order to carry out this work.
Working with other areas of Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Atlantic Holidays, you will take guidance and implement policies from the HSE Manual, raising any concerns – especially after investigative procedures. As a subject matter authority, you will provide advice and training when required and assist in help areas to achieve the appropriate level of sign off.
Are you a Health & Safety professional with a high level of understanding and working experience in the airline/travel industry? If the answer is yes, and you meet or exceed the below skills and experience, we’d love to hear from you!
• H&S Degree or advanced level Food Hygiene qualification from accredited governing body (e.g. RSPH)
• H&S Degree or advanced level Health and Safety qualifications from accredited governing body (e.g. NEBOSH)
• Training qualification and experience in the creation, development and delivery of training across a variety of scenarios (e.g. classroom, coaching etc.)
• A qualification and / or experience of maintaining, developing, internal quality auditing and working within a Quality Management System (BS EN ISO9001 preferred)
• It would be great if you had experience of working in an airline environment and/or a tour operator
• Excellent Organisational & Communication skills
• A solutions oriented problem solver, able to work to strict deadlines
• Ability to build professional relationships internally and externally and negotiate when required
• Flexible and able to effectively prioritize and re-prioritize.
• Ability to work on own initiative in frequent absence of the Health and Safety Manager
• Knowledge of: Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Legislation, BS EN ISO9001
• Strong & supportive teammate with excellent customer service skills
• High level of literacy with excellent attention to detail
Be yourself – Our differences make us stronger
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do our colleagues. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. At Virgin Atlantic we believe everyone can take on the world - no matter your age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities, religion, or beliefs. We celebrate difference, and everything that makes our colleagues unique, by upholding an inclusive environment in which we can all thrive. So that everyone at Virgin Atlantic can be themselves and know they belong.
To make your journey with us accessible, and individual to you, we encourage you to let us know if you’d like a little extra help with your application, or if you have any individual requirements at any stage along your recruitment journey. We are here to support you, so please reach out to our team, (Recruitment@fly.virgin.com) feeling confident that we’ve got your individual considerations covered.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values