Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
The Direct Tax Manager is a key role, responsible for delivering technical advice and compliance support to the VAL Group (“Group”), whilst managing risk and controls on a day-to-day basis to ensure the Group’s UK and overseas tax compliance requirements are met.
The key areas of responsibility are Corporate Taxes and Employment Taxes.
The role will work in support of the Head of Tax, Senior Tax Manager and, indirectly, the Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) as the Group’s Senior Accounting Officer (“SAO”).
Day to day
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the compliance process for the Group’s global corporate taxes (using ONESOURCE software for UK compliance)
- Undertaking Capital Allowance studies, Corporate Interest Restriction calculations, Country-by-Country reporting
- Corporate Tax forecasting including reviewing Quarterly Instalment Payments
- Management of tax reporting deliverables for the year-end audit in accordance with IFRS and FRS102 using ONESOURCE software
- Delivering monthly/quarterly reporting of the Group’s current and deferred taxes
- Ownership of advisory projects, e.g. Research and Development Expenditure Credit and Patent Box claims
- Managing the Group’s exposure to withholding taxes including reviewing/amending contracts with suppliers, lessors and finance providers.
- Managing the compliance process for:
- PAYE Settlement Agreement
- Taxed Award Scheme
- Short Term Business Visitors; and
- Making associated payments
- Managing the tax compliance process for globally mobile employees
- Manage governance responsibilities relating to SAO
- Proactive auditing, testing and maintenance of compliance processes
- Driving a strong relationship with HMRC
- Providing functional updates at HMRC quarterly meetings
- Providing advice and technical support to Legal, Commercial, HR, Reward, Payroll and other internal departments
- Managing external advisors by clarifying scope of deliverables and fee budgets
- Providing input to the Head of Tax’s quarterly presentation to the CFO/SAO
- Identifying and proposing tax compliance and planning opportunities for senior manager/business consideration
- Coaching and day-to-day management of the Tax Assistant and Tax Analyst to support the delivery of tax compliance work.
We are looking for an experienced specialist with a relevant tax qualification; CTA or equivalent, educated to degree level in a relevant subject. It is desirable that you have significant experience in managing Corporate Tax and Employment Tax compliance matters, as well as strong analytical and decision-making abilities.
The ideal candidate will have an established knowledge of Corporate Tax and Employment Tax compliance matters and will have a solid understanding of the tax rules relevant for Groups. It will be advantageous if you also have a broad awareness of indirect taxes (in particular VAT).
You will need to possess excellent communication skills in order to work cross functionally with senior management, have the ability to analyse complex and diverse documents, make appropriate evaluations and recommendations, and have the technical skills to be the lead on projects.
If you believe you have strong direct tax technical and advisory skills, have great interpersonal style with the flexibility to travel on business on an ad-hoc basis, and would relish the challenge of working for a great airline we would like to hear from you.