Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including part-time, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what's possible for the role.
In a nutshell
- Responsibility for ensuring that high technical standards are met that encompass code quality, test coverage, robustness and security.
- Working closely with other technology stakeholders to design and build loosely connected micro service architectures that enable product teams to work independently at pace.
- You will make sure the technology roadmap is being delivered in partnerships with Enterprise Architecture.
- Lead architectural design for new solutions to optimise for security, resiliency and cost.
- Continually refine existing architectures to take advantage of new technologies that improve security, resiliency or cost profile.
- Ensure that the team has the skills, knowledge, tools and resources.
- Coach and mentor the team and wider community to create a high performing development team.
- Lead the development affinity group, creating an environment to share cross-cutting concerns, new patterns and share ways of working.
- Maintain a credible level of technical expertise by maintaining hands-on development experience and dedicating time to learning new technologies, methodologies and technical thought leadership.
- Review pull requests for major technical change
Please see the desirable experience below:
- Shipping products using agile and lean methodologies such as Scrum and/or Continuous Delivery.
- Working in a matrix style organisation where direction can come from multiple senior stakeholders.
- Java/J2EE or a similar high-level language.
- Distributed microservices architecture.
- Leading cross-functional teams.
- Azure / AWS.
- Experience of Enterprise CMS systems (AEM 6.X/CQ5).
- Knowledge of object oriented programming and MVC paradigm.
- HTML/CSS markup.
- Problem solving skills with a focus on helping the team finding the “right” solution.
- Attention to detail, the ability to pre-empt issues before they manifest themselves.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and be composed under pressure, positively responding to change, and adapting to new ways of working.
- Experience of code reviewing to governance standards.
Please be aware as part of our recruitment process we may look to use a variety of resourcing tools to help us understand your skills and experience in relation to the role you have applied for. These may include application questions, video interviews or online testing. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any reasonable adjustments to our process that you would like us to consider, for example use of hearing loops, sign language interpreter etc. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there are any issues preventing you from being at your best during your application or assessment process. Any issues raised after your assessment is completed or once a decision has been made will be too late for us to consider within our process.
You'll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values